Wednesday 19 October 2016

One Day...in Vienna Tripreport

Recently, I bought my ticket to Budapest (to one of the weddings, haha) but it was so last minute that tickets were over 500£ which is a joke! So I started searching through other airlines with a stopover, because I knew from past experiences that tickets can be much cheaper if we have to have the inconvenience of having a stopover in another city. But although it is an inconvenience with a long waiting time for some, for me it is definitely an advantage! The glass is either half full or half empty! For me is half full, so I decided to fly through Vienna and take the advantage of visiting the city. The last time I was there, was 19 years ago for a Backstreet Boys concert.

So I landed around 9ish in the morning and bought a return ticket on the CAT City Airport Train 19€ that took me to the centre in 16 minutes. There is the bus option too, which I think was 15€ and 25 minutes so not much a difference, but I needed every single minute to do all I wanted to! I also got a 24-hour travel card for around 7-8€.


I had 4 main things in my mind to do in one day in Vienna, but in the end as I got lost and I just got carried away with walking in the city among the gorgeous facades and buildings I could not accomplish everything. St Stephen’s Cathedral, Schoenbrunn Palace, Belvedere and the Hundertwasser house were my main targets for the day...

... and I started with Stephansdom (St Stephen’s Cathedral) in the city centre. It looked as beautiful as I remembered! I strongly advise to go up to the towers (around 5-6€ and you can climb the stairs or a lift takes you up there) too because the view is spectacular, although don’t expect massive skyscrapers in Vienna!

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Stephansdom

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Stephansdom


Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Stephansdom

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Stephansdom

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Stephansdom


Then I was walking towards a market I read about. You all know how much I love bargains, markets and vintage things be it clothes, toys, tools or even furniture! :) In the end it was pretty small compared to what I expected, but it had some great stalls too. And the walk was well worth...I wish I had a day just walking around in Vienna to gaze at the ornamented buildings, organised parks, pretty cafes, expensive shopwindows or looking at the elegant Austrian women and men promenading on the streets. 

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide

I wanted to walk to Albertina, because from here there would be many sightseeing on the route and en route I passed the 

Hofburg Palace

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Hofburg_Palace-8f


The National Library of Vienna...if you have the chance, go inside because what you'll see is breathtaking!

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Austrian_National_Library_Josefsplatz-9f

Then I reached Albertina and the Vienna State Opera. I just missed the guided tour in the Opera House which starts at 1pm, 2pm or 3pm. So I carried on walking to Burggarten, which is next to a beautiful iron structured art nouveau conservatory with a palm house in one wing and a butterfly house in the other one. And this seemed a great spot for lunch too or just to have a real Viennese coffee.

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Burggarten


Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Burggarten


Many things in Vienna are about the famous composer Mozart, or about the artist Gustav Klimt whose most famous painting is the 'Kiss'. In the Burggarten, there is a Mozart monument, but I also saw vans advertising Mozart, you can buy the yummy Mozart Kugeln and in the souvenir shops you can buy whatever object you can think of with either Mozart or Klimt on it.

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Mozart

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Mozart

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Klimt


In Vienna everything is so central, you could just walk around and explore the city, most things are very near to each other! And there are plenty to do! Beautiful buildings, churches, palaces with parks or museums. However as I did not have much time I jumped on one of the trams (1, 2, 71, D,) to squeeze more in my one day trip to Vienna. So for example among many others you could see the...

....the Natural HistoryMuseum

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Natural_History_Museum-14f

...Viennese Parliament Building

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Parliament_Building-13

....Karlskirche

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Karlskirche-17


I still needed to see two main things. The Hundertwasser and the Belvedere! So I jumped on the underground and another tram to Hetzgasse on Tramline 1. Then walked another block and there it was! The uniquely attractive Hundertwasser House. When you look at it, it is so unbelievable, so colourful, so different! And from an other angle it is clear that this house is there in harmony and peace with the nature as trees grow from every level! And you know what? There are real people like you or me, who live in those flats! Would it be cool to live there? I thing it would be dang cool!

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Hundertwasser-haus

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Hundertwasser-haus

After the Hundertwasser I did a big detour, because I really wanted to walk on Vienna's Oxford street the Mariahilfer strasse. It's as long or even longer than Oxford street and also has lots of shops to serve all our shoppers needs :) but with less shoppers ;) and definitely less traffic ;)

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide_Mariahilferstrasse


But time flew and I still wanted to visit the Belvedere to see the 'Kiss' from Gustav Klimt. There are no pictures, because this place is still in an old-fashion way does not allow any photographs taken even without flash...but never mind. I have plenty about the building and its beautiful gardens! And haha one shot of its awe-inspiring interior :)

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Belvedere

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Belvedere

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Belvedere-Garden

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Belvedere

Wien_Vienna_Daytrip_Travel_Guide-Belvedere


So I checked out three main things from my agenda and many more, but knowing the time-constraint being at the airport on time I gave up on visiting the Schoenbrunn Palace for this time! But there you go! This is another reason to go there again and I already know that besides Schoenbrunn, I would also like to go to the Prater and walk along the blue Danube :)

Stockist

Terracotta top - Zara ~ £15.99
Tassel Earrings - H&M ~ £6.99
Sunglasses - Lacoste ~ £39.99 but it's only 19.99 in TKMaxx stores

And lastly if you want listen to the Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss and recorded in Schoenbrunn bringing you back to the time of Emperor Sissi 





                                 
 ♥  
♥  


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...